Originally from ticket #394.
Hi there, I'm having some problems with this theme's logic: We mainly have Conferences, that have their own Program, and Presentation and Speakers. Presentations and Speakers are related and may be linked together but I can't understand why the Conferences Programs are so poor in layout and edit capabilities: no rich edit of their titles and descriptions and no links to presentations and/or speakers.
I'm I missing something here? This is the main feature needed for a Conference (link the Program to Presentations and Speakers) and doesn't seem to exist. What's the problem?
you can add presentations when designing the conference: http://i.imgur.com/tnGJm50.png
That will focus what presentations are kept in a certain conference, having this certain program... that's the logic.
Let me know if I did not understood you correctly.
Thanks Nick but that's not what I was asking for. My question was probably not clear enough.
Let start over again.
If you go to the theme's demo you'll immediately notice, at the program page, that the topics listed by day (aka Presentations) are NOT clickable. Which means that the Conference's Program is not linked to Presentations. That's the main issue: Presentations (and Speakers) should be linked to Program details and not to the Conference as a whole. Adding Presentations and/or Speakers globally to a Conference is not really useful. We need to add/link them to the Conference's PROGRAM DETAILS.
Now let's go further:
If you go to edit the Conference's Program (day by day), the problem becomes more complicated because edit boxes here do not accept rich text (visual text). I tried to link entries to presentations, by using <a>tags</a> but this doesn't work good (please see attached capture): when you go back to edit a given entry, the text has disappeared outside the box and you can't edit it. If you try you just lose your previous text. The edit box is far too small and should be more elaborated.
In addition to the above:
- the theme doesn't seem to accept child theming and this is really a big issue!
- my site is in French and I managed to translate most strings in .po files but still the WIDGET showing the program in sidebar has the months in English (although the Program page is correctly translated in French). Please have a look here: http://www.rggov.org/smd/conference/formation2013/
Please let me know how we may solve those issues. Thanks.
to translate those months, please replace the attached file with your file in /lib/php/ directory.
Also,for child theaming functionality, please replace next row in function.php:
wp_register_style( 'default_stylesheet',get_template_directory_uri() . '/style.css' );
wp_register_style( 'default_stylesheet',get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/style.css' );
For any modifications related to Program/Presentations, please see $struct variable, in \evento\lib\php\resources.register.php .
Hi Nick, thanks a lot for this!
Here are the results:
- child theme: now working fine - that's really helpful! - but what happens when updating theme? will have to keep this function.php file and replace the new one that will come with the update?
- language in sidebar program widget: that works also fine - same question as above for updates. Please also note that in development XAMPP environment the widget gets hyperlinked and returns this link: http://localhost/smd2013/conference/formation2013/</span (page not found of course) but works fine online.
I'm sorry but I don't have enough knowledge to edit the $struct variable as you suggest... As previously explained, I just need to link the Conference's Program Event Titles to Presentations and/or Speakers and to get true edit boxes for Event Titles and Event Descriptions because the current ones are too small, buggy and don't really accept rich text (bold, italic, colors, links, etc).
If you think you are able to provide some guidance for doing this I would much appreciate, otherwise please let me know whether this will be corrected in next update or whether a modest paid customization is possible.
Thanks a lot for your assistance!
no worries - I fixed in the update too - so the next update won't harm your theme (no need for function.php backup ;).
OK, played a little bit... here is what you can implement (for a 5 star on ThemeForest, it's not for free ;)
1. Let's insert an additional form in event's program form group: open /lib/php/resource.register.php, and find this line:
$form['conference']['program']['title'] = array( 'type' => 'st--m-text' , 'label' => __( 'Event title' , 'cosmotheme' ) );
below this line add this chode:
$form['conference']['program']['title2'] = array( 'type' => 'st--m-text' , 'label' => __( 'Event link' , 'cosmotheme' ) );
2. If you're adding event's program via shortcodes, please open /lib/php/shcode.class.php, and find this line:
$result .= '<span class="event">' . $event['title'] . '</span>';
Edit this line as follows:
$result .= '<span class="event"><a href="' . $event['title2'] . '">' . $event['title'] . '</a></span>';
DO NOT FORGET TO RATE US! Cheers!